Saturday, August 21, 2021

Mary Langer Thompson



Looking at Life through Roseland-Colored Glasses

 

I was told not to visit my home town.

I would not be safe.

Might even be shot

in this city on the south side of Chicago.


Fifty years after attending Langston Hughes Elementary,

my school’s three-storied brick building still stands,

but windows are boarded up and the penny-candy store 

across the street gone.


Were I assigned a white page like Langston

in “Theme for English B,”

I would assure the poet I learned from him

that we’re each a part of each other.


Now I’m the outsider,

the only person in town not welcome in Roseland

where Hollanders, Germans, and Poles once made a life.

My brother learned to swim at the local Y.


Maybe, Langston, we all attended the wrong school.




Seeing You Off to Vietnam, 1970

For Dave
 
I never noticed the gate number
at the airport, the throngs,
the look of your carry-on
which is what we did all that week.

I glided down the escalator
as if in a dream
knowing you’d return,
just knowing.

On the drive home I listened  
to The Midnight Train to Georgia,
the lights on the L.A. freeway beacons,
a streamline to my heart.

Still humming, “his world, my world our world,”
I opened my front door--
woke up my mother to say,
“I’ve met the man I know I’ll marry.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coco

The Power of Water   I sit and I think about all the fantastic forms of water. Ice that cools my drink or a frozen pond where figu...