Sunday, August 22, 2021

Charles Harmon

Photo by Don Kingfisher Campbell


Fantastic Forms at the Fabulous Forum 


It all went down at the Fabulous Forum where I saw the Lakers play

and once even saw Dylan play (guitar, not basketball)

where there was scheduled a poetry slam called “Fantastic Forms”

and a battle of the bands during a half-time performance

of a double header of basketball games between LA and the NY Knicks.

 

The concert began with Bub Thrillin’ strumming and belting out his hit:

“How many poems must a poet write down

Before you can call him a poet?

And how many songs must a songwriter write

Before you can say that he knows it?”

 

B.B. Sing was up with Lucille and his really big blues band:

“Well, the Thrillin’ is gone, the Thrillin’ is gone away

Yeah, the Thrillin’ is gone, Bubby, the Thrillin’ is gone away

Well, you can’t write good blues songs

But I guess your folk singin’ is OK…”

 

Mike Call Jason was on stage with his monster hit, “Triller:”

“Cause this is triller, triller tonight

There ain’t no second chances

when I moonwalk through my dances

This is triller, triller night

I shake, rattle, and rock & roll my tones

I dance like a skeleton full of bones

As I trill, trill, trill on thriller night!”


Hard to beat it, but then Pelvis Expressly tried:

“Well, you may be the king of Pop

But I’m the King of Rock & Roll

And you ain’t nothing but a hound dog

Trying to be a glory hog

But in the spirit of  'American Trilogy,’

‘If I Can Dream’ you and I can perform together

like ‘Ebony and Ivory’ without ‘Suspicious Minds.”

 

Duck walking onto the stage Chuck’s “Sweet Berries” sang:

“Now I’m the real King of Rock ‘n’ Roll

You never wrote a song in your life

But I play guitar just like ringing a bell

I’m the original Johnny B. Goode

So, roll over Elvis Beethoven,

There’s too much funky business going on

But now I’m back in the U.S.A.

And I showed y'all the way!”

 

‘Retha Frankly strutted onto the stage, singing:

“What you need, baby I got it

What you need, you know I got it

All I’m asking is for a little respect

When you come home (just a little bit)

Hey baby, when you get home

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find it what it means to me…

Oh, hell! What it means is there’s five men

In this competition and only one woman!

What about more respect for all women?”

 

We interrupt the Battle of the Bands to bring you

news of the finalists from the Fantastic Forms Poetry Slam

performed in the back room during the rock concert:

Kingfisher with “I Got the American Right”

Co Co Chanel #5 with “Communications and Electronics”

“Good Trouble” Foster with “Hip to the Gyve”

“Jumpin’ Jackie” with “Basket Case” and “Haiku”

Calokie “Still Well” with “In the Beginning”

“Beverly Hills Bev” with “Glow”

And Marvelous Marvin with “Boxer.”

 

But the Poets get no R-E-S-P-E-C-T

compared to basketball players and rock stars

and the people do not get to hear the poems tonight

(available on i-Tunes, Amazon, and YouTube for $2.99…)

But the winner will be granted the honor

of being allowed to shoot a free throw for the Lakers!

 

And there he is with the augmented virtual reality

holographic Lakers team playing the AI generated Knicks.

And the championship is down to the final seconds

and the final penalty shots, he shoots once, shoots twice

they both go in, and the Lakers win the World Championship.

And a poetry hero becomes a sports hero right up there with

virtual Kareem, Magic, Kobe, Wilt, LeBron, Shaq, West,

Worthy, Elgin, and don’t forget Coach Phil Jackson.

 

So, the Kingfisher became the King Kingfisher by helping the

Lakers win the virtual world championship,

but Poets, keep fighting and writing for that R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

 


BIO: Charles Harmon has been writing poems and stories and songs since 4th grade

and hopes to keep writing for another century.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coco

The Power of Water   I sit and I think about all the fantastic forms of water. Ice that cools my drink or a frozen pond where figu...